Anchorage
60° F
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy

Dog reaching for treats sparks house fire

Published On: Oct 28 2013 05:54:02 AM AKDT
Updated On: Oct 28 2013 04:58:33 AM AKDT
Hunting dog

A dog reaching for treats on top of a stove sparked an apartment fire in Washington, fire officials said.

It appears the black Labrador was trying to get at a bag of dog food when it accidentally turned the stove on with its paw, Wenatchee Fire Marshal Mark Yaple told KPQ radio.

The dog's owners weren't home at the time.

Firefighters were able to rescue the pooch, but had to revive the animal using snout-to-mouth resuscitation, according to KPQ.

Damages are estimated at $10,000.