63° F

Wasilla Man Armed with Slingshot, Bows Arrested in Standoff

Published On: Jan 14 2014 08:50:26 AM AKST   Updated On: Jan 14 2014 11:29:36 AM AKST

A Wasilla man is being held on seven counts of assault and $500,000 bail, after allegedly firing weapons including a pellet rifle, bow and slingshot at Alaska State Troopers and Wasilla Police Department officers in a standoff overnight Monday.

According to a Tuesday AST dispatch and court documents, troopers and officers responded to a residence on the 1700 block of North Tanana Street just after 10 p.m. Monday, following “a report of multiple gunshots and possible victims.” They made contact with 41-year-old Jose A. Pacheco.

“After several hours of standoff and negotiation, (Pacheco) shot several times at responding officers with several types of weapons including a pellet rifle and a compound hunting bow,” troopers wrote.

Pacheco eventually gave up and surrendered to authorities at about 1:30 a.m. Tuesday.

“Further investigation revealed there were no ‘victims’ at the residence,” troopers wrote. “No injuries were sustained by either responding officers (or) Pacheco.”

In an email to Channel 2, AST spokesperson Megan Peters says the initial caller in the incident didn't provide an identification. No AST tactical vehicles were deployed to the scene, and no formal callout was made for troopers' Special Emergency Reaction Team, although Peters says individual members may have been among responding troopers.

In a Tuesday criminal complaint, trooper David T. Frebel Jr. writes that he and several other troopers surrounded the home in response to the call, as he used a neighboring home for cover.

"Several hours later, around (1 a.m. Tuesday), I heard several (of) what I perceived as gun shots from inside the residence," Frebel wrote. "I was unsure exactly where these shots were coming from inside the residence and thought they were coming in my direction."

A trooper at another corner of the home said fire was coming from a window on that side.

"After several shots, Pacheco broke out a window...and started shooting at troopers with what was originally reported over the radio as a handgun, later determined to be a slingshot," Frebel wrote.

Following Pacheco's arrest, a search of the house didn't turn up any other occupants. Frebel spoke with at least four other troopers who said they had feared being shot by Pacheco.

"In plain view inside the residence, were a pellet rifle, slingshot and two bows," Frebel wrote. "One of the bows was a Bear compound bow capable of hunting and killing game animals. In addition, at least one arrow was located inside the residence."

Pacheco was arrested on seven counts of third-degree assault against law enforcement officers, and remanded to the Mat-Su Pretrial Facility pending arraignment. His bail requirements for release include a court-approved third-party custodian.