Anchorage
24° F
Light Snow
Light Snow

Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 1, Hospitalizes 4 at Mat-Su Valley Home

Published On: Dec 24 2013 11:19:33 AM AKST
Updated On: Nov 08 2013 07:04:18 AM AKST
Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 1, Injures 4 at Mat-Su Valley Home
ANCHORAGE, Alaska -

Alaska State Troopers have confirmed the identity of the woman who has died as well as one hospitalized victim in an apparent residential carbon monoxide leak.

Troopers officials say it was Angela Hubbard, 24, who succumbed to the poisoning while Joseph Hubbard was transported to Seattle for further treatment.

"Right now we're looking at possible carbon monoxide poisoning from a hot water boiler they had in the utility room," said Meadow Lakes Battalion Chief James Keel.

Three other people have been hospitalized due to the poisoning along with Joseph. Their identities, which include that of one a child, remain unknown.  Neighbors say that child is the Hubbards' daughter, who is turning 5 this Saturday.

Original Story:

Mat-Su Valley first responders say a woman has died and four other people were hospitalized after a carbon monoxide leak at a home in the Meadow Lakes area Thursday morning.

Dennis Brodigan, the director of Central Mat-Su Emergency Services, says dispatchers got a cellphone call of what was initially reported as a cardiac arrest from a home on the 2000 block of South Krysten Circle just after 9 a.m.

Responding units from the Central Mat-Su and Meadow Lakes fire departments arrived about 15 minutes, finding a victim described in dispatchers’ notes as "unconscious and breathing irregularly.” Brodigan says crews subsequently found that carbon monoxide was a factor in the incident.

“We found one person that was in cardiac arrest and initiated CPR,” Brodigan said. “Apparently, firefighters traced the source to a boiler that wasn’t functioning properly -- that’s just preliminary information.”

Central Mat-Su Emergency Services' deputy director, Clint Vardeman, says Angela Hubbard was declared dead at the scene. The four other patients were taken to hospitals, with a LifeMed air ambulance initially flying Joseph Hubbard to Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage and medics taking two other men, as well as the child, to Mat-Su Regional Medical Center.

"There were two adult males who apparently found the family," Vardeman said. "In the act of calling it in their carbon monoxide levels were found to be high, and so they were taken to be checked out."

Alaska State Troopers were expected to release the victims' names, but AST spokesperson Beth Ipsen says their next of kin were still being notified Thursday afternoon.

A deputy state fire marshal, as well as employees of natural gas provider Enstar, were at the scene Thursday.

Channel 2's Adam Pinsker, Amberia Hill and Kuba Wuls contributed information to this story.

This is a developing story. Please check KTUU.com and the Channel 2 newscasts for updates.