Man Sentenced to 60 Years in 2011 Shooting of Mozelle Nalan
Updated On: Nov 01 2013 06:11:02 PM AKDT
A man who pleaded guilty this summer to fatally shooting a 19-year-old volunteer at a youth treatment center in 2011 has been sentenced to 60 years in the case Friday.
Superior Court Judge Philip Volland presided over Michael McEvoy’s sentencing in the death of Mozelle Nalan, in a hearing which took place at 9 a.m. Friday in Downtown Anchorage’s Nesbett Courthouse. McEvoy will become eligible for parole 20 years into his sentence..
Police say McEvoy was 21 years old on June 30, 2011, when he walked into the back yard of the Soteria House, on the 3200 block of Doris Street, and shot Nalan, who had been in training at the facility for nearly a year. Nalan suffered multiple gunshot wounds to her head and neck, including a final round which McEvoy allegedly fired while she was lying on the ground; she was taken to a hospital, but died weeks later.
McEvoy was accused of first-degree murder and other charges in Nalan’s shooting. He initially entered a not-guilty plea in the case, but pleaded guilty to the murder charge in August; in exchange, prosecutors dropped several counts of assault related to the case.
Assistant District Attorney Daniel Shorey said at the time that McEvoy had wanted to plead guilty for a year and a half, but the state wasn’t able to negotiate with him until Nalan’s family gave their approval to do so.
With McEvoy having already served two years, Shorey said Friday that he would be released in 38 years under mandatory parole.
After announcing the sentence, Volland said statements from Nalan's family to be read at any future parole hearings.
Channel 2's Corey Allen-Young contributed information to this story.
This is a developing story. Please check KTUU.com and the Channel 2 newscasts for updates.
(Copyright © 2013, KTUU-TV)